Bricks and Baffles
What are the importance of bricks and baffles in your wood fire, and what purpose do they serve?
- Designed to withstand extreme temperatures, fire bricks protect the steel sides of your wood heater from excess temperatures, meaning your wood fire is more durable and will last longer.
- Fire bricks have a low thermal conductivity - meaning heat does not pass through the fire bricks, instead they reflect heat back into the firebox of the heater to ensure a hotter and more efficient burn.
Although more durable to a normal brick, the fire bricks within your wood fire will eventually break down over time. If you notice large cracks resulting in your brick being in a number of pieces - it is time to replace it. This is because heat from your firebox is now able to escape from your fire - meaning not only is your fire inefficient, but the high temperatures the sides of your fire is experiencing, means it is susceptible to damage.
- A baffle is important as it creates a barrier between the intense heat created from your fire, and the top of the your wood stove.
- A baffle also helps create a path for smoke and gases to find their way towards the flue.
- Secondary combustion is also created through the help of a baffle, by reflecting heat and any unburnt particles and gases back towards the fire. This helps ensures a complete and efficient burn.
A baffle can be made from a range of different materials - steel, cast iron, firebrick, ceramic fiber board. And because your baffle is exposed to such intense and prolonged heat, eventually the baffle will need to be replaced. This is normal in the life of a wood fire.
You can download a brief overview of some of our commonly used bricks and baffles. If you need more information please call our Customer Care Team on 0800 666 2824
|Est. peak output|
|Approx. heat area|
|Firebox Dimensions - Inset (WxDxH)|
|Firebox Dimensions - ZC (WxDxH)|
- Product Category: Spare Parts
- Model: BricksandBaffles
- Feature: Masonry Bricks And Steel Baffle
- Room Size: Small,Medium,Large